Are you planning on hiring a security contractor for your business? A security guard’s job is to protect your employees, customers, and property by providing a safe environment.
Security is a growing business that all companies need to take advantage of. Today, there are over four times the number of private security guards as there are police officers in California. And with budget shortages, it’s important that you take the necessary steps to keep your business protected.
Many people carry misconceptions about what a security guard is responsible for. It’s important to understand what your security guard legally can and cannot do. You should also know what your security guard’s role is in the security of your company.
What is the Purpose of a Security Guard?
Preventing a crime from ever taking place is much easier than stopping a suspect from escaping or continuing with their crime. Unarmed security guards in uniforms are there for this exact reason. Someone considering stealing or damaging your property is less likely to commit a crime if there is a visible security guard present.
What Is the Role of an Unarmed Security Guard?
The presence of a uniformed guard cannot always prevent incidents from occurring. When a security problem arises, your security guard is trained to respond immediately. When conflicts occur, the purpose of the security guard is to keep the situation calm, observe what’s occurring, detain an individual if it’s safe to do so, and call the police.
What Is the Role of an Armed Security Guard?
Armed security guards exist not only for prevention, but also apprehension of a suspect. They are trained in both firearms and nonlethal weapons such as stun guns and batons in order to stop and detain someone who has been caught committing a crime.
Armed security guards are capable of detaining an individual that they have witnessed commit a crime or have probable cause to suspect that a crime has been committed.
It’s important to remember that a security guard in Sacramento is not a police officer. They cannot charge an individual for a crime that was committed.
What Legal Powers Do Security Guards Have?
- A security guard is not legally allowed to use force on a suspect except if they are protecting themselves, another person, their employer’s property, or making an arrest.
- Security personnel can enforce any rules that have been established for a property. This includes no loitering, vandalism, dumping, and other similar rules.
- In California, the law only allows the use of reasonable force for a situation that warrants it. That means that using deadly force like a firearm is illegal unless a security guard is in fear for their own or someone else’s life.
- Like any citizen of California, a security guard can legally make a citizen’s arrest. Though this is usually not the primary objective of a security guard, armed security guards are trained in apprehending a suspect.
- Whether armed or unarmed, a private security guard does not have the authority to detain suspects for a lengthy period of time. The police must be called whenever an individual is detained.
- In California, an armed security guard must be licensed for each one of their weapons, whether they are firearms or nonlethal weapons.
Keep Your Business Safe With First Security Services
First Security Services has over 50 years of experience providing security services to companies in Sacramento and the surrounding areas.
You can’t always rely on the police to respond on time. Our security guards can protect your business, keep your employees and customers safe, and reduce your liabilities.
All of our security guards are highly trained in resolving conflicts and protecting your property, licensed and certified as per current regulations, and experienced in providing security services.
See why Sacramento businesses rely on our company for security services.