Choosing the right security guard for your business isn’t as straightforward as it might seem. How does a security guard keep your property protected? Some security guards are there only to deter and report crimes, while others may provide active mitigation when threats occur.
Depending on your situation, you may require additional protection, and that’s where armed security guards become necessary.
What’s the Difference Between Armed and Unarmed Security Guards?
Armed security guards have a lot more responsibility than just carrying a weapon. There are major differences between the duties carried out by armed and unarmed security guards.
Here’s a brief breakdown of the notable differences:
An armed guard:
- Carries one or several weapons, including a gun
- Catches a criminal in the act and detains them
- Is responsible for enforcing the law on your property
- Is responsible for apprehending suspects of crime on your property
- May or may not be in a uniform
- May need to use deadly force
An unarmed guard:
- Acts as a deterrent to crime by being clearly visible
- Is typically in uniform
- Is responsible for reporting crimes on your property
- Is less expensive than an armed guard
- Is less likely to make customers uncomfortable
- Will not need to use deadly force
Both types of security guard:
- Are responsible for the safety of your customers and employees
- Are an investment in keeping your property safe
- Are trained to give a quick and correct response to an unfolding situation
Armed or Unarmed: Which Is the Better Choice for Your Business?
Since armed and unarmed security guards are so different, it’s important to make the right choice to protect your property. While unarmed guards aren’t as expensive, an armed security guard is an investment in the safety of your customers, employees, and property.
Many people are uncomfortable around firearms. You should be mindful of whether your customers will be comfortable with an armed security guard nearby.
You should hire an armed security guard if:
- Your property is not in a very central location and the police will take a long time to respond.
- You have particularly valuable items on your property and are concerned that they might be stolen or damaged.
- You are located in an area with frequent violent crime and want to protect your employees and your customers.
- Your guard will spend most of their time out of sight of customers.
You should hire an unarmed security guard if:
- Budget is an issue.
- There is a police department nearby that can respond to your location quickly.
- The guard needs to spend time near customers.
- You don’t want to handle the potential liability of firearms being discharged on your property.
First Security Services: Highly Trained Security Guards in Sacramento
First Security Services is dedicated to providing high-quality armed and unarmed security guards to businesses in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. We understand that the security of your property is serious business. That’s why we’ve been in the business of training and providing security guards in Sacramento for over 50 years.
When you contract our security guards, you are making an investment in the protection of your business, its property, and the wellbeing of your employees and customers. All of our security guards are well-trained, responsible, and highly motivated to keep you and your property safe.