Cannabis is now legal for recreational use in California. With many companies racing to establish themselves, it’s important that you don’t forget about the importance of hiring security guards and complying with security regulations as outlined by the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA).
What Security Regulations Exist Under MAUCRSA?
There are many regulations that your cannabis business must comply with if you want to avoid fines, penalties, and other disruptive activities.
Legislation to Consider
- Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA)
- Bureau of Cannabis Control Text of Regulations – California Code of Regulations Title 16, Division 42. Bureau of Cannabis Control
- Sacramento City Code and Cannabis Regulations
- Licensees must ensure that individuals accessing restricted areas are escorted by the licensee or an employee at all times.
- Employees must wear a badge identifying themselves and their role with the company at all times.
- Each licensed premises must have a digital video surveillance system with a minimum resolution of 1280×720 pixels installed.
- The CCTV system must be accessible through the Internet.
- Entrances and exists must be recorded from both indoor and outdoor vantage points.
- All footage must be maintained for a minimum of 90 days.
- Retail and microbusiness locations must have a security guard on the premises. Individuals contracted to provide security must comply with Chapters 11.4 and 11.5 of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code.
- All locks must be commercial-grade.
- Licensees must maintain an alarm system that complies with the Business and Professions Code section 7590.1(n).
Need Help With Your Cannabis Security Strategy? Follow These Steps
- Step 1 – Security Consultation: The California Bureau of Cannabis Control requires cannabis businesses to complete a security consultation. Cannabis facilities are required to have extensive security systems in place, buildings must be up to code and built using the right materials, and ongoing security must be provided. A security consultation allows your business to develop a viable security plan that you can implement when the business officially opens.
- Step 2 – Supervised Implementation: Once the consultation is complete, the security system must be implemented by a trusted provider. California regulations require all cannabis businesses to install a dedicated CCTV camera system to monitor the facility. Other requirements may include control gates, lighting, fencing, vaults, reinforced walls and structures, and more.
- Step 3 – Vetting Your Employees and Providing Training: Hiring employees for a cannabis business is challenging because they must pass a standardized background check. You will also need to train your employees and ensure that they follow all rules as outlined in the MAUCRSA.
- Step 4 – Hire Security Guards for Your Sacramento Cannabis Business: Ongoing security is essential if you want to keep your cannabis business protected from potential criminals. Depending on what your business does, you may need on-site staff, vehicle patrols, or a response team for when alarms are triggered.
- Step 5 – Complete a Yearly Security Review: Most local municipalities and the BCC require that you complete a yearly review of the security operations at your cannabis business.
We Offer Cannabis Security Guard Services in Sacramento
First Security Services has developed a specialized team of cannabis security professionals (Special Services Division) that are fully-licensed and approved to provide security for cannabis companies in California and within Sacramento specifically.
The Special Services Division is the perfect choice for cannabis businesses. Here’s why:
- Our security guards receive specialized training regarding the cannabis industry, it’s threats, and how to respond to these industry-specific situations.
- All security guards are trained in high value asset protection, Risk, Threat, and Vulnerability Assessments (R.T.V.A), and can offer protection during transportation as well.
- You can choose between armed and unarmed guards based on your specific needs.
- They can provide grow op security
- We offer consultation services to help you create your cannabis security plans.
- All of our agents are trained and certified in Tactical, Combat Casualty Care (T.C.C.C.) certified by Norcal, TASER certified instructors and certificates, Pepperbell certified instructors and certificates, Baton (BSIS certified instructors), and Management of Aggressive Behavior (M.O.A.B.)
Cannabis Security Services We Offer
- Consulting for security plans
- Electronic security for cannabis stores and grow ops
- Cannabis CCTV systems
- Security guards for Sacramento marijuana dispensaries and grow ops
- Additional security services for cannabis grow ops
- Secure transportation for the cannabis industry
Improve Your Cannabis Security with Security Guards from First Security Services
Cannabis may be legal in California, but state regulations are as strict as ever. That’s why your business needs a team of cannabis security professionals.
First Security Services has been offering security services throughout California and Sacramento for over 50 years. Our security guards are highly-trained and ready to provide your cannabis business with the protection it needs to comply with current regulations.